We wanted to teach our boys the importance of prayer since it doesn't seem to be that big of a priority for them right now. When I was little our mom gave us little oil lamps and each night we said a prayer we could put a drop of oil in our lamps. We decided to use that idea for our boys, so for family home evening we watched the parable of the ten virgins. After discussing the idea that oil can be all the righteous acts we do in life including prayer, we gave each boy a paper oil lamp with about 70 spaces on it. Each time they said a sincere and reverent prayer they got to put on 2 stickers. One for the sincere part and one for the reverent part. We also only let them count their morning, evening and 1 daytime prayer to earn stickers. About a month later, their lamps were full enough to have a "Ten Virgin Party." Okay, that sounds bad, but not in context, so no laughing! We dressed up in ancient clothing (ie pillowcases and sashes) and had a procession around our house as we followed the bridegroom (dad) to the party. We ended our procession in the kitchen with chocolate cake covered in sprinkles and ate while we watched a real lamp burn. We also decorated little tiny paper oil lamps I printed off the internet with markers, jewels, sparkly glue, etc . . . It was a lot of fun. I can't say that our boys' prayers have improved immensely, but there is some improvement--especially on Joshua's part. I hope they remember this their whole lives and use it to help their prayers be more sincere and reverent.

I think watching the flame go up and down as I turned the knob was Jonathan's favorite part. He was quite upset when we blew it out.

You can see the boys' oil lamp sticker charts on the wall behind them.

Jonathan holding up Joseph's little paper oil lamp with all its "jewels."

You may notice that a few spaces are empty of stickers. We technically had the party about 2 days early because mom got excited and baked the cake too soon. I could either let it sit out on the counter and get dry and yucky OR have the party a couple days early. It worked out nicely because it was on a Sunday and dad was home.

Joshua walking in the procession to the party.
7 comments:
what a brilliant idea!!!
Great Idea, Nancy!
Yes, it snowed! Can you believe it?! Today the high is about 48. SOOOOOO COLD!!!
What a great idea.....maybe we'll have to copy!! :) I am surprised none of the boys asked about the Ten Virgin Party.....what is a virgin???? Better think of an answer for a 6, 3, 1 year olds soon if we use this idea....they are sure to ask!
You are genius!! Education school valedictorian...oh yeah!
This is such a great idea, Nancy! We've been trying to teach Matthew about why we don't say the same things over and over again. I think we're going to give this a whirl! Thanks for sharing!
Seriously - you two never cease to amaze me! I love how creative you are...will you come live with me? :)
Love you guys - miss you
Post a Comment