
Just to help you out a little--this is a salsa recipe written by Joshua. It reads "20 tomatoes 16 carrot tops."
This week the boys were out in the backyard playing around with the garden produce and little kitchen. They had a couple of friends over and had decided that they were chefs. I have been making salsa over the last couple of weeks and I don't know if they got the idea themselves or if I mentioned something about what they were doing looked a lot like salsa. I think I may have planted the seed. Either way, they really had a blast for the longest time while I stressed over how I was going to convince 5 little boys to clean up their vegetable mess when they were done. Tomato seeds don't wash off patios very well.
I asked Joshua if he thought it would be a good idea to write down his recipe so he could remember it. This is what he came up with. Not bad!

Here is the garden. I allow them to raid it as long as they eat whatever they pick and just don't waste it. That rule isn't usually followed and I have thrown away a lot of produce that got left out in their little kitchen in the hot sun all day. I wasn't too disappointed, though. We had way too many cucumbers, zucchini, squash, peppers, and tomatoes for any family to eat. I did have a tinge of guilt every time I tossed something, but it didn't outweigh the relief at not having my fridge stuffed to overflowing with half rotten garden produce that we never got around to eating.

Joseph and Jonathan "at work" in the kitchen.


Butter knives can cut through most produce. Here is Jonathan giving it a whirl.

Chopping carrot tops.


Mmmmm, doesn't this look healthy?

This is the part that gave me the anxiety about clean-up. This was their salsa.

Pear--carrot salad.

Not sure what this was.
2 comments:
Wow Nancy, you are more laid back than me....I just looked at those "creation foods" and was thankful I didn't have to clean it up...You are such a good fun mom!
That is some pretty scary salsa! Glad I didn't have to partake. Looks like you had an awesome garden. Josh
Post a Comment