"The joy of motherhood comes in moments. Live in the moment."

~M. Russell Ballard

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Winter Campout Brrrrrrrr!

Bradyn and the two older boys camped out in our backyard last night. Brrrr! They had their 20 degree below zero sleeping bags, (Bradyn's was only a 0 degree bag) their pillows and their special suits. Around midnight, in came the two boys. Bradyn wasn't sure how warm they were so he brought them both in. Then he went back out for the remainder of the night. We tried to see what the low was last night and the only thing we could find was a report of the current morning temperature at about 2 degrees above zero. All I know is that when I looked out the kitchen window this morning there was frost on the tent and on Bradyn's shoes he had left outside the tent door. Poor guy!
After all of that, Bradyn decided we needed to invest in better footwear to keep our feet warm, and something to put under the sleeping bags to keep out the cold from the ground. Needless to say, it doesn't sound like the most comfortable night.
For some time now we have, little by little, been preparing for emergencies that would require us to be out of doors in cold weather. A year or so ago we bought these outfits that are made of a special material that wicks away the moisture from your skin to keep you dry. We bought them big so they would fit for many years to come. We dragged them out and put them on last night and it was hilarious to watch the boys. The shirts fit decently, but the pants fall right off Joshua. We tucked his shirt into his pants and that helped them stay up.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Sorry...I deleted my comment because I spelled Bradyn's name wrong the first time! OOPS! Anyway, I was just saying that Bradyn is very brave to camp out in the cold! :) We had fun looking at all the pictures. Your boys are darling!

Myrna said...

I'm enjoying your blog tonight. Yours comes right up and I don't have to do a thing. I have to sign in to mine.