"The joy of motherhood comes in moments. Live in the moment."

~M. Russell Ballard

Monday, January 26, 2009

Pool party at my house!

We woke up to a surprise this morning. First, I must mention that we have had a few warm days and the piles of snow around our house have started melting. Then, last night as I went to bed I heard the rain falling on the roof and noted that it seemed a little heavy. How unusual. Rain in January. Mmmmmm. Well, this morning Bradyn found our crawl space filled with water. Not only our crawl space, but we later found out that several of our neighbors' crawl spaces were filling up as well. As the day progressed it went from a couple of inches up to about 4 or 5 inches before we started pumping it out. One poor neighbor had the water level rise enough to go out of the crawl space and into the family room. I feel sorry for them. We have always known that our little area has a high water table, but our house has escaped any major damage in the past. Not so much this time. Our neighborhood came alive with people taking water pumps from house to house. Neighbors who weren't flooded brought over pumps, wet/dry vacuums, and fans to help clear out the water. One neighbor even took the water pump out of his swamp cooler so we could use it to pump water out of our crawl space. The bishop and stake president were here checking up on everyone to see who needed what. It was a beautiful thing to see our ward in action. It is now about 12:45 am. The water is still bubbling/trickling/seeping into our crawl space. Until it stops, there isn't much more we can do tonight. Hopefully the water table will drop enough by tomorrow so that the water we take out will stay out. Then we can turn on the fans and dry out, and then PRAY it doesn't happen again. I've been asking myself, what is this trial supposed to teach me? I have several ideas. I hope I learn what I need to so hopefully it won't happen again.

3 comments:

Tracy Giles said...

Wow, that's so great that everyone came out to help. I love seeing the church in action! I hope you don't flood again.

Ryan & Keri said...

I'm so sorry. What a day/night! We'll be praying that doesn't happen again. Wow.

Jenkins Family said...

We didn't find out until Monday that we had water. We only had about 1 inch on one side of our crawl space so we were lucky!!! I am with you hopefully it will never happen again!